Monday, February 6, 2012

Three Minutes with Sliced Bread

Normanday #14: Inventive writing

Write for three minutes about…


…that incredible invention that changed your life…


Email what you wrote to woof at bright dot net by the end of the day February 12 (put “Norman’s Yam Soufflé is World-Renowned” in the subject line). I’ll post as many of my favorite entries as I want next Monday. Include your first name (or, even better, use a pen name) and age (unless you’re tortoise-old). If you’re a published writer, include a biography to be posted with your entry.


Here are the entries from last week when I asked you to write for three minutes about…


…what happened after you broke that mirror…



Penny C. Monster

What’s wrong with this mirror? It’s broken. I don’t mean it’s in bitty pieces on the floor. I mean it isn’t working. I’m looking into it, but I don’t see me looking back. Isn’t that weird? I know it was working before. I used it just last night while I was getting ready for my date. I shouldn’t have bothered with lipstick, by the way. Vlad was much more interested in my neck.



Briar the Psychic Beagle

What luck! I broke a mirror! That’s seven years good luck.


Uh. No. That’s seven years bad luck. Sorry.


Are you sure?


Definitely.


Pity. Here I was already counting on no more paper cuts.


That’s your idea of good luck?


What’s yours?


A unlimited supply of peanut butter cookies. Placing first in every competition. Never losing my glasses.


What good is any of that if you have paper cuts?


Touché.



Morzant the Alien

I tell you this not to lay blame, but as a matter of accuracy: I did not break the mirror. Mortimer did. Perhaps it was my fault. Perhaps I shouldn’t have asked someone of his diminutive stature to transport my field microscope. But I did and he, perhaps inevitably, dropped it. The reflecting mirror fractured; therefore, I was unable to examine the botanical samples we collected until returning to my laboratory. Although I was quite disappointed not to be able to immediately examine our fascinating assortment of petals, leaves, and needles, the breaking of the mirror was an advantageous accident. Without the distraction of examining the samples’ cellular compositions, we were afforded more time in which to search for and gather samples. Without that additional time it is highly doubtful I would have found the Wolffia arrhiza.

Writers, send me three minutes of writing this week and spare us all from any more of Morzant’s attempts at creative writing. If you have to suffer like this again, you have only yourselves to blame.

No comments: