Monday, April 23, 2012

Three Minutes of Listening

Normanday #25: That sounds about right


Spend three minutes writing down everything you hear.


Email what you wrote to woof at bright dot net by the end of the day April 29 (put “Norman is a Good Listener” in the subject line). I’ll post as many of my favorite entries as I want next Monday. Include your first name (or, even better, use a pen name) and age (unless you’re tortoise-old). If you’re a published children’s or young adult writer, include a biography to be posted with your entry.


Here are the entries from last week when I asked you to write for three minutes…


…thanking somebody for something you wish they had done, but didn’t.



Cranberly

Dear Self,


Thank you so much for eating healthy and taking care of me, your body. Thank you for eating all your fruits and vegetables, having the right amount of calcium, consuming only lean proteins, and drinking only milk, water and the occasional green tea. Thank you, too, for not eating too much sugar and processed food. You know how bad that is for your body and you do such a great job of eating lots of whole grains, legumes, and things that are naturally sweet instead.


You have done such a great job of keeping me young and limber. That must be because you do daily yoga and make sure to swim three times a week and take 5 mile walks every day. Being so naturally physical keeps gives me so much energy. And an extra thank you for getting a full eight hours of sleep every night, without any need for medication! I am bright eyed and ready to take on the day every morning at 6 a.m.


Not only does all of this good nutrition and exercise take care of me, it takes care of you too, Self. For you know, being healthy is good for the brain. It gets a good amount of oxygen and isn’t muddied by substances that are bad for us — such as sugar and white flour and fattening foods.


So, thanks, Self, for just being so good to yourself and making your health a priority. You have a good sense of balance and moderation. What a wonderful influence you are on us all.


(Or not.)


With gratitude,


Your body



Morzant

Please accept my deepest appreciation for the consideration you’ve shown in agreeing to suspend the pranks and jokes you so love to perform at my expense. No longer will I suffer the indignity of being called a frog. I cannot begin to express the relief I’m experiencing at the realization that you will never again disrupt another of my experiments. I won’t dwell on the inaccurate data and innumerable lost discoveries caused by your antics. Today my studies of Earth literature begin anew. Thank you, Norman. This arrangement can only serve to strengthen our friendship and my understanding of your planet.



Bigfoot

Thanks for saving me the last piece of cake. I know it must have been hard, the way it was sitting on the counter looking all chocolatey and delicious. But you didn’t give into temptation. And I really appreciate that because I didn’t get to a chance to eat a piece yesterday during the birthday party you threw for me. It was so thoughtful of you to remember that I like surprises. Last year you forgot my birthday altogether, so it was a double surprise when I walked into the living room to find all my friends there. And the presents! Oh, the wonderful presents! So undeserving am I to have a friend like you. One who would save the last piece of my birthday cake for me. I’ll be sure to return the favor on your birthday.

2 comments:

Ruth Schiffmann said...

I love the cover of this book. Thanks for the (very interesting) review. I'm now adding it to my TBR list.

And I'm with Beverly - I love Rice Krispies treats.

Beverly the Other Half-Invisible Turtle said...

Yes, it’s a beautiful cover. Very fitting for the beautiful story inside it.

Stick with me in all things and you can’t go wrong.

(These comments refer to KEEPER by Kathi Appelt.)