Monday, February 18, 2013

Three Minutes Pining for the Past

Normanday #64: If I had a time machine, I’d go back and stop myself from getting rid of my stuffed animals. 

Write for three minutes about…

…something you miss.

Email what you wrote to woof at bright dot net by the end of the day February 24 (put “Norman is in a Bowling League” in the subject line). I’ll post as many of my favorite entries as I want next Monday. Include your first name (or, even better, use a pen name) and age (unless you’re tortoise-old). If you’re a published children’s or young adult writer, include a biography to be posted with your entry.

Here is the single entry from last week when I asked you to write for three minutes about…

…the ventriloquist you met while standing in line at the movie theater.

 
Bigfoot
There was a long line to see Red Venom Sundae. It was opening night. My friend had the flu, so I was alone. There was an argument going on behind me. I tried to ignore it. I didn’t want to eavesdrop. But it was impossible since the two voices kept getting louder and louder, until finally they were yelling.

“I paid last time!”

“With what? You never have any money.”

“And why is that? I’ll tell you why. They pay you and you never give me my share.”

“Your share. That’s a laugh. Why should you get paid anything. I’m the one who does all the work. You’re just a dummy.”

I didn’t like somebody being called a dummy, so I turned around to give the bully a piece of my mind.

Wouldn’t you know it? The guy really was a dummy.

I bought my ticket and went into the theater, hoping the ventriloquist and his dummy wouldn’t talk during the movie.

No comments: