Thursday, July 18, 2013

WINDBLOWN (Picture Book)

by Édouard Manceau, translated by Sarah Quinn
Owlkids Books, 2013

A Book Review by
Violet the Telekinetic Puppy

I’m Violet and I’m going to tell you about a book that is about seven pieces of paper that are different colors and different shapes. The book also has a chicken and a fish and a bird and a snail and a frog. And do you know what? The chicken and the fish and the bird and the snail and the frog are all made up of the seven pieces of paper that are different colors and different shapes and that probably sounds strange but when you see the pictures in the book you will understand how the shapes can be moved around to look like different animals. At the end of the book the wind blows the shapes into a pile of shapes for the reader to use to move around to make other animals or toys or cars or food or houses or whatever the reader can imagine the shapes can make up by being put together in different ways.

I like this book a lot and it is really clever how the same seven pieces of paper are put together in different ways to make different pictures. The author of the book also made the pictures in the book and he drew some extra lines with the animals that he made from the different shapes. He drew antennae on the shapes that look like a snail and he drew some clouds around the shapes that look like a bird and he drew some scales on the shapes that look like a fish. He is a really good artist and he has a really good imagination.

I wanted to see if I am a really good artist and if I have a really good imagination so I cut out seven pieces of paper that are different colors and different shapes and put them together to make a picture. I drew extra lines too just like the author of WINDBLOWN did. Here are the seven pieces of paper that I cut out:







 




Do you like my shapes and the colors of my shapes?

Here is the picture I made out of the shapes and some extra drawn lines:






 




Can you tell what the animals are? If you can’t tell what the animals are I will tell you that they are a bird and a turtle.

Lenny and Oliver like the book WINDBLOWN too and they wanted to try to make pictures too so they used my seven pieces of paper that are different colors and different shapes and put them together to make their own pictures and they added some extra lines too. Here is the picture Lenny made with the shapes and some extra lines:

 
Lenny said to make sure you know he doesn’t like cats but that he couldn’t help making a cat with some scaredy-cat mice because that’s what the shapes wanted to be.

Here is the picture Oliver made with the shapes and some extra lines:











I think that Lenny and Oliver are good artists with really good imaginations, don’t you? And I think WINDBLOWN is a really good book that you will like.

Good-bye.