Monday, September 9, 2013

Three Minutes at School

Normanday #93: I was the teacher’s pet.

Write for three minutes about…

…something that happened at school.

Email what you wrote to woof at bright dot net by the end of the day September 15 (put “Norman is a Genius” in the subject line). I’ll post as many of my favorite entries as I want next Monday. Include your first name (or, even better, use a pen name) and age (unless you’re tortoise-old).

Here is the single entry from last week when I asked you to write for three minutes about…

…something that happened in the library.



Bigfoot
There’s a stand with puppets in my library. People can check them out like they check out books. There’s an alligator, a shark, a puppy, a hippopotamus, and a bunch of others. The puppets like this arrangement because they get to travel to new places all the time and meet new people. One day when I was browsing in the picture book aisles I heard, “Psst! Over here!” I went to see who was trying to get my attention. It was an owl puppet. “Check me out!” he said. “I’ve never been to a forest before.” I thought that was sad, him being an owl and all. He was puppet, yeah, but still an owl. So I took him home along with a bunch of books and movies. He told me his name was Albert. I kind of liked having Albert around. He was soft and made a good pillow. He liked swooping out of trees and scaring the forest mice. When it was time to return him to the library, he begged me to renew him so he could stay in the forest a little longer. I renewed him twice, but then it was time to take him back. I found him sitting on a limb of the tallest tree in the forest. “I’m not going back!” he called down to me. “I’m a real owl now!” I am not a tree-climber, so there was nothing I could do. A week later I got a notice from the library telling me the owl puppet I had checked out was overdue. I owed fifty cents. More weeks went by and soon my library card was frozen and I wasn’t allowed to check out any more books or movies. Or puppets. I begged Albert to let me return him, but he just laughed from his perch. Now I owe $1,726 in library fines.

No comments: